Two months ago my family was standing together watching my Grandfather's funeral and military burial. I kept thinking about how many lives by Grandpa and Grandma had touched and created. He had his three children there, along with his seven grandchildren, one grandchild (one couldn't make it), and I kept thinking about the three grandchildren that were all there, waiting to join the world.
At this point in the day, most of Josh and my extended family didn't know we were also expecting (my two cousins were very obvious!). As we stood there freezing, with the snow falling and the horns playing, all I could think about was how lucky all of these people are to have been able to share in my grandfathers life... and how lucky these future children would be to have such a close, and loving family... all touched and a part of the family values this group of people share. Although these future grandchildren, and even more to come, are not going to be able to meet this man, he had created them - all with his wife some fifty years back as they decided to start a family. Through him, their children committed to be the family that they are today - extremely caring, compassionate, and loving people.
I kept thinking about the circle of life... he had a good life- he had told us such many times through his 80's as he kept saying he wouldn't need a birthday cake next year... ironically enough, those birthdays kept coming, no matter how much he didn't want them. Toward the end, he refused to say he was 87... because he swore up and down he was 88. His circle ended, yet there are so many more circles that are starting. It was a sad day, it was a sad week... lets be real, death is very sad. I still think about going to visit him.
Bryce and Luella created their family, which in turn created their own families, and now we are on to our next set of families. We all still hold each other close to our hearts, no matter how far we may actually be from one another.
I love what I have been given, and I am truly happy.
Josh and I get to start our family - and we are so excited.
(this is also a warning that this blog may turn into more of an 'update' on how things are going along with a bit of what I am doing in school... and I guess maybe I will include some things about Josh! ;) )